Thursday, April 16, 2015

A Very, Very Fine House

"How happy are those who can live in your house, always singing your praises." -- Psalm 84:4
In the late 1800's the U.S. Treasury Department commissioned the construction of ten "Houses of Refuge" along the barren east coast of Florida for the United States Life-Saving Service.  I posted a blog about the Gilbert's Bar House of Refuge back in January.  It is the only remaining structure of this kind along Florida's Atlantic Coast

Back then I wrote, "Every church should be a House of Refuge; a place where weary, lonely, frightened, needy people are welcome.  After all, Jesus said, 'Come to me all of you who are weary and over-burdened, and I will give you rest!'"

Since posting that blog, I've been looking for an abandoned house in need of  restoration that might become a House of Refuge. Yesterday I bid on the house pictured above here in St Cloud, Florida.

The themes of Refuge and Restoration are prominent all through the Bible.  The Book of Psalms alone reminds us that "God is our refuge and strength," (Ps 46:1) nearly 50 times.  And the Shepherds Psalm reminds us that the Good Shepherd "Restores my soul and leads me in paths of righteousness," (Ps 23:3).  A prayer for restoration is offered three times in Psalm 80,
"Restore us, O God; make your face shine on us, that we may be saved" (Psalm 80:3, 7, 19).
I love the idea of Restoring what has been Abandoned and using it to provide Refuge.  If God wishes, a very neglected property here in St Cloud will become a place of refuge.  This is my hope and prayer.

May it be a very, very fine house.



No comments:

Post a Comment