Wednesday, January 21, 2015

How Does Your Life Measure Up?

A recent ABC/Beliefnet polls found that 83% of all Americans identify themselves as Christians.  But what kind of Christians?  If being a Christian means believing in God and occasionally going to church, then it is understandable that 83% of Americans would consider themselves Christian. But how is Christianity defined in the Bible?

To begin with, a literal translation of the word "Christian" in the Greek language of the New Testament is "Follower of Christ." So what does it mean to follow Jesus?  Here are a few of the things Jesus had to say when he invited others to follow him:

  • “If any want to become my followers, let them deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me." (Matthew 16:24)
  • "Whoever does not take up the cross and follow me is not worthy of me." (Matthew 10:38)
  • “If you wish to be perfect, go, sell your possessions, and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; then come, follow me.” (Matthew 19:21)
  • "And Jesus said to them, 'Follow me and I will make you fish for people....' Immediately he called them; and they left their father Zebedee in the boat with the hired men, and followed him."         (Mark 1:17,20)
  • Again Jesus spoke to them, saying, “I am the light of the world. Whoever followme will never walk in darkness but will have the light of life.” (John 8:12)
  • "My sheep hear my voice. I know them, and they follow me."        (John 10:27)
  • Whoever serves me must follow me, and where I am, there will my servant be also. Whoever serves me, the Father will honor."           (John  12:26)

No comments:

Post a Comment