Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Is Anything too Difficult for God?

The Lord said to me, “Go down to the potter's house, where I will give you my message.” So I went there and saw the potter working at his wheel. Whenever a piece of pottery turned out imperfect, he would take the clay and make it into something else. Then the Lord said to me,“Don't I have the right to do with you people of Israel what the potter did with the clay? You are in my hands just like clay in the potter's hands." 
My dad used to say, "Nothing is ever so broken that it can't be fixed."  Actually, Dad never said those exact works, but that's the way he lived.  I grew up believing my dad could fix anything, mostly because he never gave up on things until they were fixed.  

That was probably the greatest gift my dad could have given to me. Growing up in a home where broken things were consistently fixed instilled a sense of confidence within me that developed into an attitude... a set of beliefs... an approach to life.

If my dad, who was slight in stature and had little more than a high school education, was so good at fixing things, then how could anything be impossible for God?  That is a consistent theme throughout the Bible.

Jeremiah was directed to go down to the potter's house and watch the potter work at his wheel.  He saw how the potter worked the clay, making things that were useful and beautiful.  He also noticed that sometimes a piece of pottery turned out imperfect, but the potter never threw away an imperfect piece of pottery.  He would patiently take the clay and rework it until it was shaped the way he wanted it.

No matter how broken our lives may become, we are like clay in the hands of a skilled potter.  God delights in taking what is imperfect... broken... unusable, and reshaping us so that we are useful and beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment