Monday, March 2, 2015

Gathering Around These Values



The Gathering
Following Jesus… as a Community of faith… gathering around the Word… 
guided by the Spirit… pursuing the way of Peace
 as we focus on the Mission of Jesus.
  • Following Jesus
"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a huge crowd of witnesses to the life of faith, let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily trips us up.  And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us.   We do this by keeping our eyes on Jesus, the champion who initiates and perfects our faith." (Hebrews 12:1-2)
  • As a Community of Believers
 "And all the believers met together in one place and shared everything they had.  They sold their property and possessions and shared the money with those in need. They worshiped together at the Temple each day, met in homes for the Lord's Supper, and shared their meals with great joy and generosity - all the while praising God and enjoying the goodwill of all the people. And each day the Lord added to their fellowship those who were being saved."(Acts 2:44-47)
  • Who Gather around the Word
(Jesus prayed) "Now I am coming to you (Father).  I told them many things while  I was with them in this world so they would be filled with my joy.  I have given them your word.  And the world hates them because they do not belong to the world just as I do not belong to the world.  I'm not asking you to take them out of the world, but to keep them safe from the evil one.  They do not belong to this world any more than I do.  Make them holy by your truth; teach them your word, which is truth.  Just as you sent me into the world, I am sending them into the world.  I give myself as a holy sacrifice for them so they can be made holy by your truth."    (John 17:13-19)
  • Guided by the Spirit
"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control." (Galatians 5:22-23)
  • Pursuing the way of Peace
"You have heard the law that says, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I say, love your enemies!  Pray for those who persecute you!  In that way, you will be acting as true children of your Father in heaven." (Matthew 5:43-45)
  • As we Focus on the Mission of Jesus
"Meanwhile, the disciples were urging Jesus, “Rabbi, eat something." But Jesus replied, "I have a kind of food you know nothing about." -- "Did someone bring him food while we were gone?” the disciples asked each other. Then Jesus explained: “My nourishment comes from doing the will of God, who sent me, and from finishing his work." (Jn 4:31-34)

No comments:

Post a Comment