Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Words of LIFE

After this a lot of his disciples left. They no longer wanted to be associated with him. Then Jesus gave the Twelve their chance: “Do you also want to leave?”
Peter replied, “Master, to whom would we go? You have the words of real life, eternal life. We’ve already committed ourselves, confident that you are the Holy One of God.” -- John 6:66-69
I've invited some neighbors to a Bible study at our place tomorrow evening.  As I think about it, that probably seemed like an odd invitation.  If I had invited them over to have a beer and watch a ball game that would have seemed more normal, I think.  They might still have said, "Sorry, I have other plans," but they probably would have appreciated the invitation.  I don't know if people feel the same way when they are invited to study the Bible.

So why do it?  Because when the beer is gone and the pretzels are stale and the game is over, the Bible continues to speak into our lives. Jesus said, "Heaven and earth will pass away but my word will never pass away."

That's why the 12 disciples refused to leave Jesus.  Others may be more poetic or make more tantalizing promises, but only Jesus' words offer real life.  Just one little verse from the Bible can continue to move, inspire and shape us.

When I was 4 or 5 years old I memorized a simple verse from the Bible.  It was my very first memory verse.  John 10:27, "My sheep hear my voice and I know them and they follow me." 

Many years later that little verse continues to remind me that I'm never alone.  I'm part of a large flock, with a Good Shepherd.  And the Shepherd knows my name. He hears my prayers and responds to my fears.  As the Good Shepherd leads the way, his goodness and mercy continue to follow me every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment