Thursday, March 12, 2015

Led by the Hand of God

"I have set the Lord always before me; because he is at my right hand, I shall not be shaken. Therefore my heart is glad, and my whole being rejoices; my flesh also dwells secure. For you will not abandon my soul to Sheol, or let your holy one see corruption. You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore." -- Psalm 16:8-11
During my prayer time this morning I had a strange recollection.  For some reason I thought about the pinball machine that sat in the little local corner store a few blocks from where I grew up.  

Back in the 50's, every corner store had at least one pinball machine.  For as little as a nickel and as much as a quarter, you could pull the plunger and send a shiny metal ball into the field of play.  The ball would careen through a maze of bumpers that would light up and add points to your score.  The bumper also sent the ball careening off in a new direction; either keeping it in play  or sending it toward the bottom of the table and out of play.

There are those who believe that's the way life works.  Some believe that once the plunger is pulled our lives are launched through a maze of obstacles.  Sometimes we bounce off in a direction that brings happiness and blessing, and other times we bounce off in a direction that brings sadness and heartache.

This way of thinking is rooted in Eastern mysticism rather than Christian faith.  An ancient Taoists story provides this illustration:

An old farmer had worked his crops for many years. One day his horse ran away. Upon hearing the news, his neighbors came to visit. "Such bad luck," they said sympathetically.

"Maybe," the farmer replied. The next morning the horse returned, bringing with it three other wild horses. "How wonderful," the neighbors exclaimed.

"Maybe," replied the old man. The following day, his son tried to ride one of the untamed horses, was thrown, and broke his leg. The neighbors again came to offer their sympathy on his misfortune. "Maybe," answered the farmer.

The day after, military officials came to the village to draft young men into the army. Seeing that the son's leg was broken, they passed him by. The neighbors congratulated the farmer on how well things had turned out. "Maybe," said the farmer.
As we follow the way of Jesus, the path may have many twists and turns, but the destination is never left to chance.  We are called to continue along the path, with the Lord continually before us. Read the words of the psalmist again,
"I have set the Lord always before me; because he is at my right hand, I shall not be shaken. Therefore my heart is glad, and my whole being rejoices; my flesh also dwells secure. For you will not abandon my soul to Sheol, or let your holy one see corruption. You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore." -- Psalm 16:8-11

No comments:

Post a Comment